Saturday, September 20, 2014

Turkey Meatballs (p. 167) and Salted Brown Butter Crispy Treats (p. 201)

Ladies' night dinner at Jody's.  The menu was salad, spaghetti with turkey meatballs, and Rice Krispie squares for dessert.
I altered the meatball recipe a little since I wanted them to go with spaghetti. 

I mainly changed the spices, and didn't add the sesame seeds.  Instead I use some fresh basil, a bit of celery seed, and some cayenne.  It felt weird to add water to the mix, but I did it.  You then fry them in a skillet to get some texture on the outside, then bake them to finish.  When I pulled them out of the oven I cut one in half to be sure they were done.  It smelled so good I had to taste it.  And then I ate the whole thing!  They were a big hit with the ladies, too.  I will definitely be making these again.  I suppose I should try the more Moroccan version as well.
Dessert was a hit too.  The recipe is described as the classic recipe, just with a bit more (double) the butter, and browned.  You use unsalted butter but add just 1/4 tsp. of salt.  I really liked them - nice texture, great slightly caramel flavor, and just a little hit of salt at the end that makes them totally craveable.  They also seem to be holding up well - not get all dry and crunchy like regular RK treats.  Super quick and easy to make, and very tasty.
Okay, that's three in a row from Jody.  The ball is in your courts!

No comments:

Post a Comment