Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Wild Rice Gratin with Kale, Caramelized Onions, and Baby Swiss





I was looking for something to make, and I had some wild rice on hand, so I went with this dish. 
There's some low maintenance but time consuming steps in this recipe, namely cooking the wild rice and caramelizing the onions.  Cooking real wild rice takes about an hour.  Then there's the onions, and chopping the kale.  But kale is pretty, right? 



 Confession: this is the first time I've ever bought kale. It's cheap!  94 cents for a giant bundle.  So you combine the cooked rice with the cooked down onions and kale.  Toss in some shredded swiss cheese. Then top with more shredded cheese and bread crumbs and bake.   
Ooh, pretty browning.  Yes, of course, you put some butter in with the bread crumbs. 
So, how was it?  Interesting.  Good.  I'd say it's not really a main course, even though it's in the vegetarian main course section.  But it's a really nice side.  If this was a Minnesota recipe there'd be a can of cream of mushroom soup and a cup of sour cream or something in there and it would be heavy and gloppy.  This way it's actually really nice and light.  An adjustment for me, but I prefer it.  It would be good with chicken. 

1 comment:

  1. I was listening to NPR yesterday and heard a recipe for leeks. I want to try it: http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/09/16/csa-recipes-gunst#leek

    ReplyDelete