Saturday, August 23, 2014

Blueberry Cornmeal Butter Cake (p. 245)

Greetings from Minnesota. 

My sister makes a tasty dessert called Blueberry Dump Cake.  It's simple and delicious - basically, you use a cake mix, a stick of butter, and some blueberries.  This recipe is like a from scratch version of that.  And it was good!

The batter was gorgeous - so smooth and and thick and creamy and light.  Not sure if the picture does it justice.  I like that the recipe uses sour cream instead of buttermilk - whenever I buy buttermilk I use a half cup for whatever recipe I'm making and throw the rest away.  I did wait until the butter was room temp as suggested - I think that's quite important. 


You then make a quick little streusel topping to cover the batter.  I used convection to bake the cake, and ended up leaving it in for 45 minutes, which is 10 minutes longer than suggested.  I did not flip the cake out of the pan to cool - I'm not quite sure how that's supposed to work with the streusel topping.  But it was no problem to serve it right from the pan. 

 It was really good - great texture from the browned top and edges, and from the cornmeal.  And you can taste the tiny bit of lemon zest.  This would also work for a brunch.  I will be making this again!




4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Did you serve it with ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, just vanilla. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were given two cups of fresh blueberries last Saturday and I decided to use them to make this cake. I did not have a lemon, so I substituted orange zest (I picked this over lime zest, but I suspect either would have worked well). Two comments:
    1. Given the size of the pan and the amount of topping, "scatter" isn't really the right word. The topping covers the batter.
    2. Like Jody, it took about 50 minutes to bake this cake (in a convection oven).

    That being said, we both found this to be DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete