Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Wild Mushroom Tart (p.95)


Last Saturday we had company (relatives of M).  I decided to use our guests as guinea pigs and make this tart for the first time.  I find that tarts, like lasagnas, cannot be rushed and I usually leave at least 3 hours to make either.  I started this tart nice and early in the day.

 


The crust is a bit unusual.  First of all, there is a 1/4 cup of cornmeal.  Secondly, the author uses an egg to bind the crust, rather than the traditional 3-4 tbps of ice-cold water.  I made the crust in a food processor and as she suggests rolled out the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap (this has worked well in the past for other tarts that I make).  I was surprised that the dough went into the freezer (other recipes usually call for the frig).  I was also surprised that you were given the option of parbaking as this step is usually necessary to avoid a soggy crust.  I chose to parbake.  I did not have a round version of a removable-bottom tart pan, so I cooked and served it in my round ceramic quiche dish, which worked well.  I usually fold the extra crust back onto the rim, but next time I will do as she suggests and cut off the extra.  The crust is tasty, but a bit hard and not flaky, so making it thicker was not a good idea.


I used 1/2 pound each of cremini, shitake, and oyster mushrooms for the filling (Wegman's was out of chanterelles).  I picked the thyme from my neighbors yard.

I served the tart at room temperature.  The next day, I reheated it before having it for dinner and much preferred it warm.

Overall, I the tart is very tasty and I will certainly make it again, but I am holding back on my final judgement of the crust. 

1 comment:

  1. That is beautiful. Trying to decide what I should make this weekend.

    ReplyDelete