Sunday, August 31, 2014

Corn Risotto Stuffed Poblanos

I took a trip to the farmer's market and bought the ingredients for this dish - specifically the poblanos, the cilantro, and the fresh sweet corn. (I am a fan of the Oxford comma.  How about you?)  A trip to Trader Joe's rounded out the supplies. 
This is a kind of two-part recipe.  You make the risotto, then you add some cheese and stuff it into the peppers.  Deb said that I didn't have to char and de-skin the peppers if I didn't want to, and I didn't want to.  I used hard cider instead of beer, since that's what I had on hand. 


The risotto took about 45 minutes from start to finish.  I wasn't crazy vigilant about stirring, just let it simmer and stirred when I added more broth.  It turned out well, great texture and not too soupy. 

You then stuff the risotto into the peppers sprinkle on a bit of cheese (I used feta) and then bake.  I had more risotto than would fit in the peppers, but that isn't really a problem.  I baked for about 20 minutes since I hadn't charred the peppers beforehand. Seemed to be about the right length of time. You then drizzle with a thinned sour cream and sprinkle on cilantro. 

So, how was it?  Good.  It was good.  The peppers have nice flavor and aren't too spicy.  The rice is nice.  Guilty confession: if I make this again, which I may, I'll add more cheese to the risotto.  Because dairy is my jam.  

Happy Labor Day!

2 comments: